Issue Statement 4: Breed Purity
- Labradors that carry the MLPH gene are AKC pedigree Labrador Retrievers whose breed purity is certified by the AKC.
- The Council reminds the AKC of their own statements:
- "The foundation for the AKC registry is based on parentage and not color."
- "We [AKC] should register all Lab pups coming from purebred AKC registered Labs."
- Accusations of intentional crossbreeding to introduce the MLPH gene from another breed are unfounded and categorically false.
- The Council encourages all breeders of MLPH gene Labradors to participate in the Breed Purity DNA testing program to publically demonstrate breed purity.
- The Council considers the assertion that the source of the MLPH gene in Labrador Retrievers is from any other source other than the breed itself as defamation and will pursue legal counsel as appropriate to protect the purebred status and reputation of these Labrador Retrievers and the reputation of their breeders.